Monday, January 3, 2011

Chillers Scariest 13 Movies of the Decade

Chiller decided to put up their top 13 scariest movies. Do you agree with their picks?

13. Drag Me To Hell- I thought it was a great movie. Scary no, funny yes! This movie had me rolling most of the film. Greg Nicotero (SFX) explained the old woman was a puppet head that they used. Also the puke was coffee grounds and different pasta with some slime. Great film!

12. The Strangers- This movie freaked me out. This could happen to any of us. "Why are you doing this to us? Because you were home." Oh Hell No! In one of the scenes with Liv Tyler getting a glass of water, the guy in the mask was just standing in the background. This is what I was telling you all about, not using gore to scare. Number 13 was gory, but it was not scary. It takes a lot to freak me out. This film did. Nice job!

11. Final Destination-while I did not find this movie scary, I thought it was a great screenplay!

10. Orphan- This movie had a great twist at the end. What is interesting about this film is that there was an incident that happened not too long after this film came out with a family from the US adopting a child from Russia. Read up on it. This is a must see. Isobelle Fuhrman is insanely good.

9. The Descent- I thought it was dumb and not worth being on the scariest horror movies of the decade. I didn't like any of the characters. I did like how the actress gets her revenge at the end, but overall, it was not worth the time.

8. Hostel- Of course this is one of my favs. (Eli Roth). To be quite honest, I have seen a lot of interesting things in my life, I imagine something like this does exist. The torture in this movie was to die for, hahaha. The scenes were dragged out to ensure the audience felt the pain. Brilliant movie. This movie took the humor out of horror unless you get off on torture.

7. 30 Days of Night- The vampires in this film were the best I have seen. Vampires in Alaska? duh! If I were a vampire I would thrive there. I would not be cold and it is dark most of the time. Evil vampires. I had no desire to fuck one of them.

6. Cloverfield- it was not bad. The film was fast paced. I was pissed that the one girl ran around in heels the whole time. She had ample opportunity to get a pair of running shoes. the Statue of liberty head was a good effect. This would not be in my top thirteen however. Go Go Gozirra!

5. 28 Days Later- Yes!! fast zombies. The priest was the first attack zombie. If you are attacked by a priest, I believe you are in the zombie apocalypse. This was one of the first mainstream films that just tore it up with the fast brutal zombies. Even when they think they are going to be safe with the military they find they are not. The audience could also feel the characters evolving and becoming a family. Great film.

4. - The Mist- What can I say? The ending was shocking! Even though this film was weird, it kept my attention. When the people in the store were starting to go against each other, I remember saying to myself, that religious lady needs to die! With all those people stuck in a store, you always have idiots. The main character leaves at the end with some others. Bad decision. Of course in most films, if you just stay in one place, you will most certainly die. In this movie, it was the opposite.

3. Saw- This was a brilliant movie, brilliant screenplay and brilliant torture. Because of our sins according to jigsaw, he gives us the opportunity to repent. Our lives depend on ourselves and what we would do at the end of our lives. Raw and pure. I am not commenting on the franchise.

2. Paranormal Activity- This film had it's scary moments. It screws with our minds without special effects. Low budget film that got the job done. I really did not like the characters so I was disengaged a little. You may think I am weird, but this film is fairly realistic.
This film made Independent filmmakers feel like independent films were on the upward turn.

Do you agree with Chiller's number 1?

1. The Ring- This film took the old black and white and added it to modern times. Samara was freaky. She was just evil. It was good. I am not sure it is my number one of the decade, but it was good.

There you have it. Maybe I will come up with my own one of these days. Enjoy and have a great 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Not a bad list. I liked a lot of the movies on it. I could see why the Ring was number 1. I know PA scared a lot of people, but PA2 scared me more. Saw wasn't scary, but had one of the best twists I have ever seen. I love 28 Days/Weeks Later, The Strangers, and Hostel.

    ReplyDelete