Sunday, September 4, 2011

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark



It appears the  horror genre is morphing again. The age old ghost stories we were told as a kid by the camp fires are coming back but with creepier unwelcome guests. These are the kind of films that would keep us up at night and we would tell our younger sibling to torture them.
I like these kind of films because the mind is the scariest place to be. Of course Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark did not utilize that tactic. Instead, the creatures were seen too many times. I think the film would have been good if the creatures would have been unseen until close to the end.
While I feel the film is a bit cheesy for adults, I would be creeped out if I were a kid under the age of thirteen. If you want to ensure you scare the shit out of your little brother or sister this is the film to take them to. I would have liked to hear more about the history of Mr. Blackwood instead they focused all on the scaring of the little girl which is ok for a kid horror film.
The film has a lot of plot holes, but overall it is ok to see one time. I would wait for the DVD however.
The Director is Troy Nixey with Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce as the adult main characters. Bailee Madison is the young girl (Sally) who was sent to live with her father, unbeknownst to her. Katie Holmes (Kim) is the girlfriend who is trying to create a relationship with Sally. Sally has a lot of psychological issues which I think would have been good to play off of to mess with the audiences minds. Instead nothing was left to the imagination as I stated earlier.
These creatures started acting up when Sally comes to live with her father. Apparently they want children so they try to befriend Sally so they can pull her into the depths of hell. The movie is basically about Sally trying to get someone to believe her about the creatures. Unfortunately there were bodies that could be used as proof but never were. That was just one of many issues with the film. If you want to sit back and just not think for a couple of hours this is not a bad film but I would not rank it over a two. It had potential. I did not know this is a remake of the 1970's made for TV horror trilogy by Dan Curtis. Of course there are differences but the concept was the same. A friend Aaron Overstreet, schooled me on that. I had never even heard of the trilogy. I am going to see if I can find it. I am sure it is better than this version.




















No comments:

Post a Comment